"I am still convinced that a good, simple, homemade cookie is preferable to all the store-bought cookies one can find."
– James Beard (1903-1985)
Want to make the cookies? Here's the recipe. Happy Valentine's Day!
Shortbread Valentine Hearts (Makes about 20)
3/4 lb unsalted butter, softened (3 sticks)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups unbleached pastry flour
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the sugar crystals:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 drop red food color
Heart-shaped cookie cutter
Clean, dry jar with a tight-fitting lid
1. Pour the granulated sugar into the jar, add one drop of red food color, close tightly and shake well to distribute the color
throughout the sugar.
2. Cream butter and powdered sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Sift flour and salt together and blend into the butter mixture.
4. Gather dough, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour (or overnight).
5. Preheat oven to 350°F.
6. Roll the dough on a floured surface to 1/8-inch thick. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut cookies and
transfer them to ungreased cookie sheets with a metal spatula.
7. Chill for 30 minutes, sprinkle with colored sugar and bake until just golden, about 10 to 12 minutes.
8. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.